Back on the Healthy Eating Bandwagon – Quinoa Pizza Bites
This week, some of my friends and I challenged each other to a little clean eating challenge this week. Life has been crazy lately, and I’ll be the first to admit that I’ve been eating way too much convenience and fast food lately. Luckily it hasn’t had much impact on the waistline, yet. So when this challenge was proposed, I jumped right back on the healthy eating band wagon.
So I’ve failed miserably at keeping it 100% clean. I need my afternoon diet coke, or I become cranky and incoherent. I also love my evening beer in the summer time. But I am committed to cleaning out the rest of the junk and doing more home cooked meals. Night one’s dinner: Quinoa Pizza Bites with marinara dipping sauce and Quorn chik’n cutlets marinated in pesto sauce and topped with shredded mozzarella.
I subbed out the cherry tomatoes with some sundried ones that were sitting in my cupboard. I think they added a little sweet kick to the bites. They turned out delish, and I can’t wait to have the leftovers for some guilt free snacks this week. I also made them in a standard muffin pan, so the recipe made 12 larger ones. Still under 100 cals apiece, so not bad at all.
Recipe from fitsugar.com
Gluten-Free Quinoa Pizza Bites
Adapted from SoVeryBlessed.com
1 cup uncooked quinoa
2 large eggs
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped (or 2 tablespoons dried)
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, diced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Pizza sauce for dipping
- Place the quinoa and two cups of water in a covered pot. Bring to boil and then simmer for 20 minutes or until quinoa is tender.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together all ingredients, except pizza sauce, in a medium mixing bowl.
- Distribute mixture into a greased mini muffin tin, filling each cup to the top (one heaping tablespoon each), and press down gently to compact.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan. Serve warm with sauce for dipping.
Makes 24 mini muffin bites