Pumpkin Apple Streusel Muffins – 31 Days of Fall Flavors Recipe #5
Pumpkin Apple Streusel Muffins
Adapted from Allrecipes.com
Makes 18 muffins
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites plus 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup all natural unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 cups peeled, cored and chopped apple
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease 18 muffin cups or use paper liners.
- In a large bowl, sift together 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 2 cups brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, mix together egg whites and egg, pumpkin and applesauce. Add pumpkin mixture to flour mixture; stirring just to moisten. Fold in apples. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
- In separate bowl, mix together remaining flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and butter until the mixture resembles course crumbles. Sprinkle on top of muffin batter.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.