Vegan Friendly Hot Cocoa
Living in a place where it can snow 9 months out of the year (so far, I have seen snow in ever month except June, July, and August) that worships being outdoors when the rest of the country is saying that it’s just too freaking cold, I drink a lot of hot cocoa. But the really, really good stuff is loaded with milk and cream, and the packets don’t really fit well into that whole cleaning thing. While I’m far from ever going full vegan, I do try to limit my dairy, especially milk. So here’s my favorite non-dairy hot cocoa. It’s so rich and creamy that you’ll never know that it’s vegan friendly as well.
Dairy-Free Hot Cocoa
makes 4 servings
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 4 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Mix sugar, cocoa, salt and water in saucepan over medium heat. Stir well and bring to an easy boil while stirring continuously. Simmer for about 2 minutes making sure it doesn’t scorch.
2. Add almond milk and heat until hot, but not boiling. Remove heat and add vanilla. Divide between 4 mugs and enjoy!